Serving Aurora and the Fox Valley Since 1937
In 1937, a pair of World War I veterans from Roosevelt-Aurora Post 84 in Aurora, IL formed a Cadet band comprising high school musicians.
Today, just as it was at its inception, the Aurora American Legion Band is an organization that encourages student musicians to develop a lifelong love affair with music. The Band also provides adult musicians the opportunity to continue playing and performing, wherever they are in their musical careers. The Band’s focus remains continuing music education, improving musicianship with an ever-expanding musical library of challenging pieces.
Whether you are seeking us out to attend one of our concerts, or to find out how to join us on stage this summer, you will find the information you are looking for on this site.
Where to See the Band
The Aurora American Legion Band performs primarily during the summer months. Our home is Aurora, IL, but the Band plays in Memorial Day and Independence Day parades, and indoor and outdoor concert appearances throughout the Western Suburbs of Chicago.
- May 27 – Aurora’s Memorial Day Parade (12:00 pm)
- June 16 – Flag Day Concert, Aurora (2:00 pm)
- June 23 – Joint Concert with Center Cass Community Band, Downer’s Grove (4:00 pm)
- June 29 – Pleasant Hill Cemetery Patriotism and Family Day Concert, Winfield (10:45 am)
- July 3 – Warrenville’s Independence Day Parade (6:00 pm)
- July 4 – Aurora’s Independence Day Parade (10:00 am)
- July 4 – Aurora Historical Society’s Picnic & Ringing of the Bells at the Tanner House Grounds (1:00 pm)
- July 4 – Independence Day Celebration at RiverEdge Park, Aurora (5:30 pm)
- July 27 – Roosevelt-Aurora American Legion Post 84 Centennial Celebration at Blackberry Farm (2:00 pm)
- July 31 – McCullough Park in Aurora (7:00 pm)
The Aurora American Legion Band will enter its 82nd year in 2019. The Band, originally sponsored by Roosevelt-Aurora Post No. 84 in Aurora, Illinois, was formed in 1937 as a Cadet Band. Two World War I veterans invited Aurora-area high school bandsmen to play. During World War II the Band’s activities were temporarily halted, but in 1946 the Band reformed with veterans of both World Wars I and II. Later, veterans of Korea and Vietnam joined the ranks. The Band continues to be true to its patriotic roots, performing parades, concerts, and other observances in and around the Fox Valley.
The Aurora American Legion Band is entirely self-supporting; it subsists on donations and earnings from appearances, which includes two parades in Aurora each summer, and several concerts in and around the Fox Valley.
- Like our Facebook Page.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- Donate to the band.
- To book the Band for a concert, request a CD, or find out more about the Band, email us at email@example.com or visit the Contact Us page to send us a message.
- Visit the Aurora Beacon News for an article about us by Denise Crosby.
- See our FAQ page for more!
Members and Prospective Members
- To inquire about joining the Band, please contact us.
- Rehearsals resume on May 9, 2019, at Herget Middle School.
- All members (new or returning) must fill out a Membership Application at the beginning of the season.
- Please review our schedule and check your availability for performances and rehearsals.
- Join our Members Page on Facebook.